I’m sure you love a creamy mug of hot cocoa during the cold winter months just as much as I do. Whether you go the traditional route of just chocolate, or my latest favorite, gingerbread spiced hot chocolate, a mug of the warm stuff really warms the bones on a chilly day!
I make a lot of hot chocolate as Christmas approaches, and my kids love when I surprise them with a little gingerbread man mug topper (or mug hugger) on the side. They are cute and edible and simple to make! And they really do add a special touch!
I usually make a big batch of this gingerbread dough for Gingerbread Houses early in November, and then freeze half of it to use for gingerbread mean as the season goes on. The recipe I’m giving you today is only ¼ of my usual batch, so be sure to scale it up if you want to do what I do!
Mug Topper Cookie Cutter
I bought my little gingerbread man cookie cutter here on Etsy. It’s the perfect size and his arm is bent is such a way that he easily hangs off the side of the mug. You can also purchase a mini gingerbread house cutter, or a candy cane cutter (which naturally hangs, anyway) or even this other style gingerbread man that has a rather large slot in between his legs to pop on the side of a mug!
How to Make Them
The dough is simple to make and requires mixing the fat and sugars together, then adding the molasses spices and egg. Finally, the flour goes in.
Once the mixture comes together to form a dough, it’s ready to be rolled out. If you find it’s still a bit sticky, just add a bit more flour until it’s easy to handle and roll out.
I like to roll it on my parchment paper (cut to the size of the baking sheet) or a silicone baking mat. That way I can cut out the gingerbread men and remove the excess dough from around them, and not actually disturb what I cut out. This is a pro tip for ensuring they maintain their shape! That, and popping them in the fridge for 10 minutes right before baking.
Once baked and cooled, you can decorate them or leave them plain. They look cute and taste delicious either way. Then pop them on the side of a mug of freshly made hot chocolate and enjoy!
Other Recipes You’ll Enjoy
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Secret Ingredient Soft Gingerbread Cookies
- Caramel Apple Cream Cheese Dip
- Hot Chocolate Dessert “Charcuterie” Board
Gingerbread Man Mug Topper
- ¼ cup shortening
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon ginger
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the shortening and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add in the molasses, salt, baking soda and spices.
- Add the egg and mix until combined.
- Slowly add in the flour, and mix until a dough forms.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, roll out the dough to about ⅛ of an inch thick. If it's too sticky, dust with more flour.
- Refrigerate for 5 -10 minutes, while the oven is preheating to 375°F.
- Cut out the gingerbread men. Remove excess dough from around the cut shapes. Do not try to lift the gingerbread men.
- Bake at 375°F for 6-8 minutes. Allow to cool completely before decorating.